Dental emergencies can happen suddenly and without warning, causing pain and anxiety. When faced with a dental crisis, it can be helpful to know what to expect when visiting an emergency dentist for emergency dental care.
Evaluation & Diagnosis
Once you get in touch with an emergency dentist, it’s likely that you’ll be asked to come in as soon as possible. This may even mean right after your emergency happened.
Upon your arrival, the emergency dentist will perform a thorough evaluation of your condition. They will ask about your symptoms, recent trauma or injuries, and medical history. Dental X-rays may be taken to assess the extent of the problem and ensure an accurate diagnosis.
Relieving pain is often the first priority in dental emergencies. Your dentist may administer local anesthesia or recommend over-the-counter pain relievers to alleviate your discomfort.
Emergency Dental Treatment
Depending on the nature and severity of your dental emergency, your treatment may involve procedures such as:
- Tooth Extraction – If a tooth is severely damaged or cannot be saved, extraction may be necessary.
- Dental Fillings – For severe cavities or minor tooth damage, a dental filling may be placed to restore the tooth’s function and appearance.
- Root Canal Therapy – In cases of infection, a root canal may be performed to preserve a tooth’s structure.
- Tooth Reattachment – If you’ve had a knocked-out permanent tooth, your dentist will attempt to reattach it.
- Future Prevention – You may benefit from getting fitted for a custom mouthguard if your emergency was caused by a sports injury or teeth grinding.
Emergency Dentistry in Denver, CO
Visiting an emergency dentist can provide timely relief and treatment for dental emergencies. Knowing what to expect during your visit can help alleviate anxiety and ensure you receive the care you need promptly. At Vero Dental, we provide emergency dentistry in Denver, CO, and would be happy to provide relief for you during an emergency.